A healthy lifestyle can be summarised as a number of healthy habits which are incorporated into your daily life. The trick is to consciously integrate as many healthy habits in your current lifestyle as possible. Often these are just small changes, which will, in the end, make a big difference in your overall health. In this article, we share 8 small adjustments which will help you to create lasting habits for a healthy lifestyle.
Some of these adjustments are very obvious, however often people forget about them or just can’t be bothered to implement them. With just a little bit of extra effort, you will be able to get that healthy lifestyle that you have desired for so long!
How to start?
Integrate every week one of the below adjustments. A week is exactly the right amount of time to get used to a small change. The best news? After two months you have implemented a whole set of lasting habits which will improve your overall health.
8 lasting habits for a healthy lifestyle
- Eat 1 banana every day. Bananas are very beneficial for your gut health. Next to that, they contain the mineral potassium which can help you when you suffer from high blood pressure. Research shows that a diet containing sufficient potassium is important to prevent heart and vascular diseases.
- Do you spend a lot of time in a car? Lots of people suffer from back pain when they drive often. A good trick to prevent this is to aim your rearview mirror a little bit too high. You will have to move your back up when you look in the mirror. This stretches your back slightly and helps reducing or even preventing back pain! Of course, keep it safe and make sure your mirror is not aimed too high for you to be able to look in it at all.
- Reduce your caffeine intake. One to two cups of coffee per day is considered OK. It’s even better to replace coffee with green tea which is full of antioxidants.
- Feeling stressed and tired? Time to hit the gym more often. When you exercise a whole cocktail of hormones is released in your body. These help you with feeling happier and less stressed.
- The benefits of a good night sleep are numerous. Eat some cherries before you go to sleep. Cherries contain substances which make it easier to relax and fall asleep. Turning off any screens at least one hour before bedtime also improves the quality of your sleep.
- Increase the strength of your abs. Stronger abdominal muscles greatly support your back muscles, reducing the risk of back pain. 25 crunches every morning is not hard to do and will take you max 1 minute.
- Some people love it, some people hate it. But the health benefits of regularly eating oily fish can’t be denied. Your body needs the unsaturated fats to function well. Try to eat oily fish at least two times per week. If preferred you can add a daily Omega-3 supplement.
- Always eat a healthy and well-balanced breakfast. When you eat well in the morning you will feel fit the rest of the day. By eating breakfast you also remove the urge to start snacking halfway during the morning. Win-win!
As you can see all these tips are not difficult or take a lot of time to implement. All you need is the dedication and a bit of discipline. But then they will make a big difference for your overall health!